- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400gr diced beef, cut in thin strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800ml tomato sauce
- 2 cups salt-reduced beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried macaroni pasta
- ¼ small green cabbage (280gr), finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Heat half the oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.Transfer to a large plate. Cook remaining beef then transfer to plate.
Heat remaining oil in same pan over a medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add pasta sauce, stock, and water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes.
Add your choice of small pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked. Add cabbage and beef. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with parmesan. Serve with your choice of ciabatta bread, or any bread. Enjoy !
Vegetarian Option :
Make it vegetarian: Replace beef stock with vegetable stock, and swap meat with a 400g of chickpeas or kidney beans.