Difference between Keto & Paleo diets
I was asked by a couple of people recently what was the difference between the Paleo Diet and the Keto Diet. Here is a quick recap:
- The Keto Diet was originally created for people who needed to eat a very low carb diet (as little sugar as possible) for health reasons. Usually cancer. Cancers feed themselves on sugar, so by eating Keto, you are “starving” your cancer. It won’t heal you, but it will likely support your treatment. You of course should talk to your doctor if this is the route you decide to take.
- The other reason to go for a Keto diet is to lose weight. And this works. However, you want to note that a Keto diet is not ideal for your kidneys as it contains a lot of meat. This is a diet you can do for a few months, but we would not recommend following it for months.
- The Paleo Diet is usually followed by people who have an autoimmune disease such as arthritis, gout or inflammatory bowel disease. Most of these conditions are linked to the state of your guts. This diet seems to help rebalance your guts by removing all nightshade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant and a few other veggies).
- Nightshades contain alkaloids, which the plant produces as a defence mechanism. Some alkaloids have been shown to interact with nerve activity and inflammation, which may impact conditions such as arthritis and gout, as well as gut irritation. Many people have no sensitivities to Nightshades, but those that do may find avoidance very beneficial. Cooking decreases the alkaloid content by up to 50%, so for those with borderline sensitivity, this can be a good option.
4 Reasons to choose ShiokFarm’s Keto & Paleo bags
- ShiokFarm’s Paleo and Keto bags are created with the help of professional nutritionists and already exclude produce that have to be avoided in your daily consumption.
- ShiokFarm Low Carb Keto bag contains less than 43g of carbs per day to properly maintain ketosis in your body. Ketosis is the metabolic state when your body burns fat to get energy from, instead of glucose. We make sure the greens the bag contains vary week on week and add the occasional berrys to bring some joy and colour in your salads.
- ShiokFarm Paleo bag excludes all nightshade vegetables, and guarantees a variety of produce you won’t find in a single shop in Singapore. This will save you time and $$. This bag can also be viewed as a great mix of our Mix-Medium 5kg bag and our 3kg Premium bag, minus all nightshades. So a good alternative to the Medium 5kg or Large 7kg bags, if you are looking for more variety.
- Lastly, and most importantly, our Keto and Paleo bags are 100% ORGANIC! Meaning that you don’t just follow your diet but also treat your guts with healthy natural produce 🙂