Easy Bok CHoy Soup Recipe for Vegeterins & Vegans
- 500 g baby bok choy, halved or quartered
- 1.5 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 12 g ginger root
- 113 g fresh shiitake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3.5 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp Takii shiitake mushroom seasoning, optional
- 2 bulbs spring onions (scallions)
For the poached eggs (optional):
- 4 large eggs
1. Prepare the bok choy by slicing it in half. For larger bundles, quarter them. Rinse and clean the bok choy under cold water, then set it aside to drain.
2. Preheat a medium-sized soup pot over medium-low heat until it feels warm. Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt. Saute the mixture over medium heat until it becomes fragrant, approximately 1 minute.
3. Add the mushrooms and olive oil to the pot, and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Pour the stock into the pot and cover it with a lid. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the broth to a boil, approximately 4 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. While the soup is simmering, prepare soft poached eggs if desired (see notes for directions).
6. Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings. You can add 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos and approximately 1 teaspoon of Takii shiitake mushroom seasoning for additional depth and flavor. If you don’t have this Asian seasoning, season with more salt and coconut aminos according to your taste.
7. Increase the heat to medium and add the bok choy to the pot. Place the bok choy with the stem side down, allowing the leafy parts to remain above the broth. Cook the stems for 1-2 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the leafy parts submerge in the broth for 1 minute.
8. Season with a dash of toasted sesame oil and sprinkle with spring onions. Divide the soup into 4 serving bowls and, if desired, add one poached egg to each bowl. Serve the soup hot or warm.
Enjoy this delicious and comforting bok choy soup!