Greek Green Beans
You will need
- Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 28-oz can peeled whole tomato
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ lb fresh French green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces (frozen green beans work wonderfully in this recipe)
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 lb), cut into small piece (½ to ¾-inch pieces)
- Salt and black pepper
- lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat ¼ cup Olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, stirring occasionally (about 5 mins). Then add the garlic, cumin, and oregano. Cook another 2 mins, stirring regularly, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, water, bay leaf, beans, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a high simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and transfer to the heated oven. Cook until the sauce slightly thickens, and the beans and potatoes can easily be cut with side of your fork; about 35 minutes or so. (It’s a good idea to check once partway through cooking, add a little bit of water if needed.)
- Remove from oven and stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley. Stir in a generous drizzle of olive oil (at least another ¼ cup).
- Serve immediately with Greek pita bread or your favorite rustic bread to sop up the sauce!
Recipe and picture by the Mediterranean Dish | https://www.themediterraneandish.com/greek-green-beans-fasolakia/
Leave a Reply