Sri Lankan Okra and Coconut Curry
You will need
- 250 g Okra trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Salt Sea or Himalayan
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil cold pressed
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Brown Mustard Seeds
- 1 Medium Onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes dried
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp Coriander ground
- 1 tsp Turmeric ground
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes canned or chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk Organic
- 1 tsp Lemon or Lime juice
- Wash okra and place in a bowl. Toss with turmeric and salt and set aside
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add curry leaves, mustard seeds, onion and dried chilli.
- Saute for 3 minutes, but don’t let the mustard seeds burn
- Add okra to the pan, ground chilli powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric and tomatoes.
- Cook until slightly brown, tossing all the time so the dry ingredients don’t burn.
- Add salt to taste
- Add coconut milk, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the okra is cooked – around 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add lemon or lime juice and stir through
- Don’t overcook the vegetables. The okra should still have a slight crunch.