Marinated Eggplant Salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Fresh lemon juice. White Balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar can be substituted.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Chilli flakes or fresh red chillies.
- Dried oregano. Other dried herbs like thyme or parsley will also work.
- Salt and black pepper.
Slice eggplant into thin slices and brush with olive oil. Grill in a hot grill pan until soft and caramelized on both sides. Place the grilled eggplant into a large jar or sealable container. Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, finely chopped chillies and dried oregano with a generous pinch of salt and pepper together in a large bowl then pour over the grilled eggplant. Seal the jar or container and allow to marinade for at least 6 hours but up to 1-2 weeks.
Ideally the eggplant should marinate for at least 6 hours to allow the eggplant time to absorb the flavors, however eggplant can be left submerged in the marinade, sealed in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
How to serve marinated eggplants :
- As part of an antipasto platter, mezze platter or cheeseboard.
- On sandwiches with salami, parma ham and cheese.
- In Italian caponata.
- As a pizza topping.
- Drained, chopped in frittatas and pasta dishes.
- Use the marinade as salad dressing.