Spiral vegetable tart
Do you feel like adding a dish full of bright colours on your table for dinner? Then this recipe is definetly for you. Zero waste, yummy taste!
- 1 no-fail pie crust
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil and drained
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan (optional)
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh herbs (suggested: rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare a batch of No-Fail Pie Crust (or gluten free or vegan alternatives, depending on dietary preferences). Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, trim the edges of the zucchini, squash, and carrots. Slice the vegetables into long, thin slices, using a mandolin, vegetable peeler, or a sharp knife.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9″ tart pan. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until just a bit bigger than the tart tin. Place the dough into the tin and press into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess overhang. Refrigerate the dough in the tart pan for 15 minutes.
- Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with dry beans or a pie weight. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges are slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- While the crust cools, make the pesto. Combine the sundried tomatoes, basil, and garlic in a food processor or blender. Pulse several times, then slowly add in 1/4 cup of olive oil and continue to pulse until the pesto reaches the consistency of spreadable paste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the pesto along the bottom of the tart. Sprinkle with the cheese (if using).
- Quickly dip one piece of sliced vegetable in the remaining olive oil, or bush with oil using a pastry brush. Roll the strip into a tight circle and place in the center of the tart. Dip the next vegetable slice in olive oil and roll around the first slice. Continue wrapping the vegetable slices in concentric circles until the tart is full.
- Brush the top of the vegetable tart with any remaining olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chopped fresh herbs.
- Bake at 350 °F for 45 to 50 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender and cooked through. Cool in tart pan for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Recipe by Julie| https://www.bunsenburnerbakery.com/spiral-vegetable-tart/